Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Today I visited the orthodontist. It was my first time getting treated for something wrong with me in a hospital. Usually I'm just a visitor, not a patient. My appointment was for my clicking jaw which seems to be really clickety whenever I eat, especially at dinner time I have noticed. The consultant orthodontist however gave me some sound advice.

Firstly, it's common and treatable and not too serious. However, when I was shown a demonstration of what my piece of jaw bone or whatever it is was positioned, I did feel kind of uneasy. It's kind of like a see-saw at the moment, and if it slides any further I could have permanent locking of the jaw! Oh shit.

But, fortunately I was prescribed some homeopathy. Basically, I have to do two sets of jaw exercises for 1 and a half minutes, three times a day. Lovely. That's going to be a chore I'm sure, but if I just don't think about it too much, I'm sure I'll be OK. The other thing I have been told not to do, is chew gum. Chewing gum is apparently one of the most common causes of clicking and out of place jaws, as the action of chewing gum consistently, can have a grinding effect- it can dislodge the jaw. Great. So now I will have to cope with having bad breath and if people complain, tough shit :p I can't chew gum. I'm sure I'll be able to have a fresh mint though.

I had to have some X-rays taken too. My first ever. As my body has served me well so far, I have never had a problem with any bones breaking or any of that. The lady nurse/assistant took two. For the first one, I had my head in a brace and I had to bite down as hard as I could on two ridges on a piece of plastic. The crazy bit was when I then had to walk forward and was positioned at a highly odd angle, trying to keep my head as still as possible whilst biting down on a piece of plastic and holding on to two handle bars. Bet that picture would've gone down a treat. Obviously they do these things to get the right angles of things.

It did seem like a lot of ferrying back and two, with notes and buzzing bells and going up and down in lifts and all that. But by 10.30 or so, an hour after my arrival, it was time to go home. Me and my Mum visited my Nan to see how she was. She seems pretty dazed these days and when my Mum tried to explain to her who I was, she seemed to look blankly at her. Despite what she says, I don't think my Nan can remember who I am. Mother just says otherwise so I don't get upset. Not that I would be either way. By the time I was born, her mental health was already starting to deteriorate :( It's sad, but there's nothing that can really be done now. It's always nice to see her anyway, so the good deed for the day was done.

This afternoon I've mainly been procrastinating. Checking the news. I've read more of that book. I tried to a bit more on my case study and have been revising on and off in a half arsed kind of way for the past two and a half hours. It's slowly getting there. As regards the case study I have to do, I'm around 200 words or so into it already, I just have to find more sources really, which is starting to become a problem as I only have one pure source...all the others will be 'net or general sources, not specific. Grim. I would try and find some decent sources, but I can't seem to get any- my project is fairly unheard of and all the books I need and can be found on Amazon or other online sources (other than the one I've got), either are sold out or take 4-6 weeks to be delivered- by which time, my case study will have to be handed in! (I know, I've checked). So I'm hoping for the best that won't be my downfall...lack of sources. It probably will be though. Meeep.

Those are my main concerns at present. But tonight, will be real good. I'm gonna be watching 'Trans America' with my boyfriend and we'll also probably watch one or two episodes from the second series of The League of Gentlemen.

Can't wait :D